History and Present
The present faculty
The Faculty is currently undergoing a period of many changes in several important areas. In terms of studies it must contend with negative demographic population in the Czech Republic, where the number of graduates of secondary schools, vocational schools and colleges continues to decline. This trend will last at least until 2016. Along with unfavorable demographic developments, it is necessary to take into account the very low interest in studying technical fields and focused on the situation of the Czech Republic a large number of universities, not only public but also private. All these factors are a major challenge for the faculty in terms of promotion of fields of study and maintaining a stable number of students, despite the ever-decreasing budgets of universities by the Ministry of Education. Therefore we are very pleased that the vision of education is being implemented despite the unpleasant circumstances.
In research and development, the faculty is very successful institution, where she managed to come up with very innovative outputs of scientific and technical research, which are valued in international fora and in international projects and consortia. Research teams composed of employees of the faculty and talented students working on a number of projects financed from both domestic public and private sources and from major European and overseas institutions. The Project Operational Programme Research and Development for Innovation (OP) at the Faculty built two regional research centers and one center of excellence. SIX Centre (Centre of sensors, information and communication systems) focuses on research and development of communication and information systems and their components, operating in a promising frequency bands. Conversely CVVOZE Centre (Centre for research and use of renewable energy sources), their professional capacities and equipment covers the entire spectrum of disciplines in electrical engineering (electrochemistry, electromechanics, electrotechnology, power engineering), particularly but not exclusively, in relation to the actual topic of renewable energy resources and their effective use in production, transport and energy. The most important achievement is faculty participation in the scientific center of excellence CEITEC (Central Institute of Technology), which combines research in areas of living sciences (medicine, veterinary medicine, biology and natural sciences) and material sciences (micro-and nanotechnology and advanced materials). The CEITEC has the ambition to become a leading center of science at the global level.
We cannot forget a successful completion of the relocation of the Faculty in one compact unit in the Technicka street, which was completed in 2013. Faculty is now located at addresses Technicka 8 (Department of Physics and Department of Mathematics), Technical 10 (Dean's Office, Department of Microelectronics, Department of Electrotechnology and Department of Foreign Languages) and Technicka 12 (Department of Telecommunications, Department of Radioengineering, Department of Theoretical and Experimental Electrical Engineering, Department of Automation and Instrumentation technology, Department of Biomedical engineering, Department of Power Electrical and Electronics and the Department of Power Engineering).
We believe that the faculty will be the undisputed successes continue and will continue to fulfill its vision of a modern educational and research institution for the 21st century.
Brno University of Technology (BUT) is the second largest and the second oldest technical university in the Czech Republic. It was founded in 1849 for technical, agricultural and commercial specializations. The languages of instruction were Czech and German. As a consequence of political and national disputes, Czech ceased to be used as language of tuition, and in 1899 the Czech Technical High School was founded in Brno. After World War I and foundation of Czechoslovakia this school merged with the German Technical High School (originally bilingual) to form the High Technical School in Brno, which later carried the name of Dr. Edvard Beneš, the second president of Czechoslovakia. In the period between World War I and World War II this school was among the best technical universities in Europe. During World War II the school was, as all other high schools were, closed. The premises were used by German military institutions, and most equipment was destroyed. Immediately after the end of World War II the activities of the school were resumed. In 1951, at the beginning of Cold War, the Technical High School was closed and the departments became parts of the newly established Military Technical Academy. Tuition for civilians continued at the former faculty of civil engineering only. However, it soon became evident that the technical university should be re-established. Since 1956 the school gradually started its activities in various fields.
Electrotechnical disciplines were first taught at our Faculty in 1905. Since 1959, when the independent Faculty of Power Engineering was founded and subsequently transformed into Electrotechnical Faculty, over 22 000 students have graduated from our Faculty. When in 1993 the structure of the FEECS was changed, it received a new name – Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (FEECS). The Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science was the third largest among the seven universities of BUT, after, at the beginning of 2000 the Faculty of Technology and the Faculty of Management joined to establish Tomáš Baťa University in Zlín.
A number of historical decisions were taken at FEECS in 2001 in connection with the intended foundation of a new Faculty of Information Technology (FIT) and transformation of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (FEECS) into the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Communication (FEEC). Organizational and economic activities concerned with the foundation of FIT and transformation of FEECS into FEEC were crowned by the decision of the Rector of BUT to appoint Professor Radimír Vrba Acting Dean of FEEC and Professor Tomáš Hruška Acting Dean of FIT to 1 January 2002.